Motorola DROID Xyboard 8.2 Ice Cream Sandwich update details posted by VerizonAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
The Motorola DROID Xyboard 10.1 began receiving its Android 4.0 update late last month, and now it looks like it's about time for its little brother to get its own taste of Ice Cream Sandwich. Verizon has updated the DROID Xyboard 8.2's support page with details on the device's ICS update, which is version number 12.11.31.MZ609 and will bring the Xyboard 8.2 up to Android 4.0.4. Included in the 299.2MB update are goodies like a direct access lock screen, an easy way to monitor data usage and improved network connectivity. The full changelog from Verizon is available at the bottom of this post.
While the support documents posted by Verizon today list the changes contained within the update as well as its size, one piece of information that it doesn't have is the start date of the rollout. However, the appearance of these docs suggests that it the update can't be too far out. If you've got a DROID Xyboard 8.2 and feel like doing some manual update checkin', you can do so by heading into Settings > About tablet > System updates. Just don't forget to give us a shout in the comments if you manage to find anything, k?
DIRECT ACCESS LOCK SCREEN
- The direct access lock screen takes you directly to Camera, Browser, Gallery or Unlock.
- Easily create folders by dropping one app on top of another. You can also add a name to specify the folder contents.
- Multitask with ease using the Recent Apps Feature. Just press and hold the Home Key to access and easily switch applications by tapping on thumbnails or swipe away apps that you are done with to close.
- Monitor your data usage all in one place. Set warning levels check individual app usage or turn off data completely.
- Important Note: The on-device Data Usage meter may not match the amount of data for which the customer will be charged by Verizon Wireless because the on-device meter may include data usage that is not billed to the customer.
- The My Verizon Mobile app reflects billable data usage and best indicator of how much of the current month’s data allowance has been used.
Also, with this upgrade, your device will now run on Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
Here are some of the key updates with this operating system:
- Includes the latest Motorola USB driver to allow Xyboard to connect to a computer to transfer files.
- Securely refresh your Corporate Email account with the native email client.
- Faster Browsing Experience
- Improved network connectivity