Motorola DROID RAZR, RAZR MAXX Android 4.0 update documents posted by VerizonAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
Motorola has said that the DROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX will be updated to Android 4.0 in the second quarter of 2012, and while we're still without an actual rollout date yet, it looks like the new software might just make it in time. Verizon has posted documents for the RAZR and RAZR MAXX's Ice Cream Sandwich update on its official support page for the two devices, announcing the version number for the new software (6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US) as well as the changes that it brings. Along with a bump to Android 4.0.4, users can expect goodies like a new Launch Bar, a Direct Access Lock Screen, a Recent Apps Feature and Global Roaming support. The full changelog from Verizon is at the bottom of this post.
As I mentioned before, neither Motorola nor Verizon have announced when this update will begin rolling out to users. We've seen new software begin pushing within a week or so of Verizon posting the new support docs, though, so DROID RAZR and RAZR MAXX owners may not have much longer before they're able to sink their teeth into the Ice Cream Sandwich update. Whether or not the recent June 27 launch rumor holds true remains to be seen, but we'll pass along more details when we get them. Get excited, RAZR and RAZR MAXX owners!
The home screen now includes a customizable Launch Bar. You can easily drag apps, shortcuts and folders in or out of the Launch Bar for access from any home screen.
Enhanced notifications window include access to settings menu and new swipe to dismiss functionality for individual notifications.
DIRECT ACCESS LOCK SCREEN
The direct access lock screen takes you directly to Camera, Text, Messages, or Unlock.
Monitor your data usage all in one place. Set warning levels, check individual app usage or turn off data completely.
Settings have been organized into logical groups, take action without leaving Settings.
Multitask with ease using the Recent Apps Feature. Just press and hold the Home Key to access and easily switch applications by tapping on thumbnails or swipe away apps that you are done with to close.
Easily create folders by dropping one app on top of another. You can also add a name to specify the folder contents.
The addition of a new Video Calling icon to the apps menu makes it easy for you to begin making video calls to your friends, family, and coworkers with the free video calling apps ooVoo and Tango. These free apps, designed for your mobile phone, let you see and hear the person you’re calling, whether you’re in 4G LTE or WiFi.*
Also, with this upgrade, your device will now run on Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Here are some of the key features of this operating system:
- Device is enabled for Global Roaming. Now take advantage of voice and data services in over 220 countries worldwide. For additional information and support please visit www.verizonwireless.com/global.
- New versions of the following applications have been added:
- Backup Assistant Plus
- Newer versions of Google Mobile Services Applications with Enhanced Features
- Video Calling Portal
- Verizon Apps Store
- Faster Browser, Enhanced experience with Visual Tabs and ability to view desktop version of web sites.
Stability and Performance Improvements
- Improved Bluetooth Audio Quality while listening to Music
- Improvements to the Mobile Hotspot performance.
- Enhanced Email Experience with quick response options, improved auto correction & search options
- Reorganized and easier to navigate settings menu, including toggles for airplane mode, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth®.